An 808 way of life

STS Marketing College 2009: full day and even richer evening.

The 2009 STS Marketing College was a success on so many fronts. For me it was a terrific but exhausting experience. After teaching for 5 hours (in one day) I was literally exhausted. When the day ended I had no idea why I couldn’t talk nor sleep.

As I began to pack up my computer (after sesson one), along with my cameras and my equipment I thought briefly about my students (all 100+ or so of them) and how they viewed me after two.five hours of interaction. I didn’t have much time to reflect because after the class ended many of them came up to me and thanked me … most saying it was great to hear from a person working real-time in the industry. A friend of mine told me later that one student said she wanted to take me home. Overall the student feedback was terrific. Even more important, the executive director sat in my class almost the entire period and commented very favorably to me afterward. Whew.


The lesson plan I prepared (for the year-one students) included more than 200 slides, six research topics, and countless references to support my findings. Equally important, the lesson plan required a “super fit” engine and a solid supply of  energy to hold the attention of adult-students. I even produced a new web site to support my program:

By the time I sat down at my break I was feeling pretty good – except that my day-job was calling me to work. I spoke with a client briefly by cell and then began preparing for the afternoon session. We took a lunch break and ended up chatting for most of the hour. It was nice – the cafeteria at Georiga State is just what you’d expect in a college setting: lunch line, choices of mostly carbs and the low-level 20-minute seats.

Round two, year-two students. Early afternoon I geared up (in an entirely different room) and lectured another 100 or so adult-students. This group required a separate lesson plan with more than 200 slide and another six research topics with the references, etc. The primary difference between year-one and year-two students is “a year.” I’m not sure what happened between year-one and year-two, but some of the year-two students grew “attitudes.” One lady, who sat near the front, definitely a detractor, attempted to “argue” and press her views. I gave as much as possible and kept moving. One heckler-type dude was met with student rebutle rather than my own. I suspect that some of the students (who were there to learn) were “over” the distractive behavior of those around them. I was super-thankful for the support. After all, none of the professors are paid for their time to prepare lesson plans, to drive to college (nor reimbursed for travel expenses) nor compensated for teaching. Each and every one of us is there for a simple reason: to give back to our profession.

The overall experience was terrific – and rewarding. I learned as I taught and I was challenged to dig deeper in preparation for “next year.”

I arrived home at 3:30 today – and I promptly took a nap … finally, the weekend is here. Aloha.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s